Fear of public speaking (Glossophobia) is a common form of anxiety. It can range from slight nervousness to paralyzing fear and panic. Many people with glossophobia avoid public speaking situations altogether which can lead to anxieties, depression and living a lower quality life.
Our goal here at Rising Sun Martial Arts in downtown Abacoa is to help our children and teens overcome this fear through deliberate Public Speaking and Leadership classes.
Learn how we do it below and if it could help BENEFIT YOUR CHILD.
“The fear of public speaking is more common in younger patients as compared to older ones and may be more prevalent in females as compared to males,” says Jeffrey R. Strawn, MD, FAACAP, associate professor of psychiatry and pediatrics and director of the Anxiety Disorders Research Program in the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience at the University of Cincinnati.
“We know that some individuals tend to have more anxiety related to certain circumstances in which there may be a fear of evaluation and embarrassment.”
📣 Our Leadership Program students are learning PUBLIC SPEAKING through intentional and hands-on practices in every class.
😲 Fear of public speaking is a very common phobia and one that is believed to affect up to 75% of the population. It is ahead of death, spiders, or heights.
😍 Our hands-on training in Public Speaking starts as early as the child turns 6 years old!
💡 We believe that by the time they become Teens, and then Young Adults, their abilities to communicate and speak in front of large groups of people will be their NORMAL. This will help them achieve leadership and managerial positions in their work environment.
💪 There are several steps our students get to practice in classes in order to overcome fear from public speaking:
- We get our students ORGANIZED with exactly what they will be saying in front of others.
- We PRACTICE and PREPARE extensively through speaking easy sentences in a small group setting.
- We ELIMINATE FEAR OF REJECTION since everyone participates and takes turn to say the same words.
- We focus on PATTERNS such as the rhythm and meaning of words with hand gestures and body language. This helps children with memorization and speaking up.
- We EXERCISE before the presentation to get the blood circulating and send oxygen to the brain.
- We PRAISE one another to develop PRIDE IN OUR WORK and to recognize each other’s success and improvement.
If you would like more information about our Martial Arts Program for Kids and Teens don’t hesitate to call us at (561)-222-3903.
Get started today with our martial arts free trial.